first electric tram in Scandinavia ran through the streets of
Christiania (Oslo) in March 1894. Horse trams had been in use since
1875, then a company called Aktieselskapet Christiania Elektriske
Sporvei established electric tramways. The horse tram company had to
do the same soon after. The first line went from Jernbanetorvet to
Majorstuen. The car on the stamp was built the same year by
Herbrand-AEG in Berlin. It is No. 1, which is preserved so you can
admire it in the
Norwegian Technical Museum in Oslo. In the background there is a
map from 1880 of the inner city.
Catalogue Nos.: Sc 1067 / SG 1192 / Mi 1163 / YT 1120 / NK 1212
modern tram is a S79, a 22,4 m long articulated type, belonging to
the municipally owned
nowadays the only tramway company in Oslo. During the eighties, 40
of these were delivered from EB Strømmen Verksted AS (now a branch
of ABB). They were produced in cooperation with German enterprises.
The first ten were built by Duewag-AEG, the last thirty being made
in Strømmen, Norway. The S79 cars, Nos. 101-140, have names after
cities abroad. The class is divided in two groups, S79I and S79II.
The tram on the stamp is No. 131, a S79II commissioned in 1990 and
named "Sacramento", here on line 11 to Kjelsås. Also here we can see
a map of Oslo in the background, a blue line indicating tram-routes
and several tram-stops.
Catalogue Nos.: Sc 1068 / SG 1193 / Mi 1164 / YT 1121 / NK 1213